The Fitting Experiment – Hourglass Dress

The Fitting Experiment

Episode 2- The Hourglass Dress

Background: I am hanging out with some new bloggers friends and we are calling our adventure, The Fitting Experiment. Our goal is to test out patterns that are drafted with a large size range to determine if the pattern has a great fit across the board. We are looking at comparing the fit across the size chart, construction techniques and directions, included options, and anything else the bloggers want to chat about. After this episode, we are adding more friends and not all of them are actual bloggers. Some use other platforms of social media and some make videos. We are mixing things up and expanding our game!

IMG_2510

The Fitting Experiment is back from quarantine and ready to share our latest project. This is the Hourglass Dress from Made by Runi. Yup, You read that right… DRESS! Psst: I know I am wearing a shirt! I made it into a shirt length because my closet is stuffed to the max with dresses. 🙂 Let’s start with the details of the pattern.

The pattern includes sizes 34-58 (European sizes).
Options included are: slim fit or flared skirt

Hourglass silhouette or solid front and back bodices.

Colorblock shoulder detailing

Two neckline options

Three sleeve lengths

I went with the flared fit, lower neckline, solid bodices and colorblocked short sleeves.

IMG_2516

Adjustments: I am just outside of the waist measurement for this pattern, but I straightened out the hourglass shape of the pattern (since I don’t have one) and blended from the bust to the hip and now it fits wonderfully. I also did a full bust adjustment and a bicep adjustment for this pattern. These are both adjustments I make on nearly all patterns I wear. This pattern called for binding the neckline, but I made bands. I am honestly terrible at binding, it looks like rubbish always. So I measured the opening, did the match, banded the neck. 🙂 I hemmed the sleeves and bottom.

New to me- I had to add seam allowances to the pattern. Apparently, this is a normal thing with European patterns…I had no idea. While this did take a little bit of extra time, it allowed me to pick the SA I wanted to use. The pattern pages also needed to be trimmed before assembling. So this pattern required a good bit of prep work before I could get down to sewing. Another thing that was a bit odd to me, the directions for assembling are on the website instead of with the pattern. While all these things are typical for the companies I usually sew, it wasn’t a deal breaker for me to sew. I only wish the size range included more sizes so I wouldn’t have to adjust so many things to get a great fit.

IMG_2517

Overall, I am happy with the fit after adjustments and will likely make the colorblocked version as well. This is a comfy top and I am wearing it to work today. I like that this top has a few different options to change up the look of it. This one will get a lot of use this summer!

If you would like to check out this, and other patterns from Runi, here is the link.

My fabric is from The Material Girls.

IMG_2513

A special thank you to Made by Runi for sponsoring The Fitting Experiment makers with patterns so that we can share our thoughts with you.

Please check out the other makers: